Trenton Air Show

Trenton Air Show

Mike and I drove up to Trenton on Friday evening for the Air Show at the Trenton Air Force Base the next day.  The drive up was horrible – around four hours due to awful traffic.  We were both so relieved to arrive at our hotel, which had a rather nice display out front:


We were eating our dinner at the hotel restaurant when we heard “Hey Lizzy!”  It was a bunch of guys from Search and Rescue in Niagara and Southern Ontario who were also staying at our hotel.  They flew in to work at the static display.

We decided to head out the next morning before 10:30.  The air show started at 12:00, and we wanted to spend around an hour checking the static displays and booths in the hangar.  Wow, were we ever in for a shock.  We drove over to one of the parking lots near the base and hopped on the shuttle bus.  Everything was looking great until we arrived to see an enormous mass of people – I mean a sea as far as the eye could see.  We figured it wouldn’t be too bad since we already had our tickets (we spent a tad extra and got seats in the very limited photo pit – only 100 people).  No such luck as everyone was waiting to get through security.  Holy poop.  We were in the line for about an hour and a half!  One of our rare shade spots – this one lasted a couple minutes under a wing:


This major delay was very unfortunate as not only did it put us in a bit of an off mood, but we missed the start of the show.  Then, they directed us to the wrong area for our seats and we wasted over ten minutes more finding the photo pit.  There were no signs or anything and it was very frustrating.  The show opening planes were all from the Hamilton Heritage Warplane Museum, which included the Lancaster.  We made it over just in time to catch the last pass:


Caught a pic of the Lanc during landing:


Here are some of the other pics from the day:

One of my favourite pics was this of the F22:


C17 over the Snow Birds:


And a Heritage flight with the F22 and Mustang:


We decided after all the waiting we did that day at security, we would beat the rush back to the parking lot and leave before the end of the show.  We missed the Snow Birds performance.  On the way back to the bus, we stopped off at the parked Lancaster and met up with pilot Leon, who I’ve known for a few years.  After a little chat, we got in line for the bus.  We waited for about 20 minutes, which would have been at least five times that if we left at the end of the show.  We saw the Snow Birds in formation as the bus was almost at our parking lot.  Bummer we missed the full show but it would have been a major delay if we joined the mass exodus. We made it home in about two and a half hours.

After 17 layers of sun screen over the day, I was so looking forward to a shower.  Afterwards though, I walked out into my living room and almost had a heart attack.  I had let the kittahs out on the balcony, and looked over to the window to see this:


Geez, Boo!  At least the other weirdos were a bit more sane…..well, sorta:




I thought I was going to sleep pretty well, but I was fairly wound up from the day (and there were a few spots where I missed applying extra sun screen and are now quite burned and painful), so I didn’t sleep well.  I’m hoping tonight is much better as I have a longish week (meetings and two trips to Hamilton), so I need sleep!

Today’s symptoms: Felt fairly drained but kinda expected after a day in the sun and fairly long drive home.  Totally worth it though – it was a great experience!

2 thoughts on “Trenton Air Show

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s