Flight to Reading, PA

I had one of the best weekends I’ve had in a while.  On Saturday, I drove over to Jan’s.  She baked me a birthday cake (since she won’t see me on Wednesday) and gave me some awesome pressies!  In return, I clambered up on the roof and cleaned her gutters:


This was the first time I had to use a ladder to get up there, since I used to climb up the TV aerial.  She just had it removed this summer.

Hello, Jan!

After the roofage, we went to the Seaway Mall, then to Zehrs for groceries.  We dropped the noms off at home then went to the Lazy Loon at the Log Cabin in Fonthill for dinner.  As usual, the food was awesome.  Thanks again to my cute, little mother for a great day!

I needed to get a good night’s sleep on Saturday as I had a big day planned for Sunday.  My friend and I were flying to Reading, Pennsylvania to visit the Mid Atlantic Air Museum.  We took off around 8:30 and flew about 20 minutes to stop at Buffalo Airport to clear customs.  The customs officer met us at the plane as soon as we landed.  We were then cleared to pay ramp fees and depart for Reading.  It was a little more than two hours to get there.  It was quite hazy on the way down, so I decided to refrain from taking any scenic pics until the weather cleared on the way back.  I did snap these of the nuclear cooling towers though:

While taking the pics, I asked my co-pilot to fly the plane (not a prob since he’s a pilot).  He kept trying to discretely veer away from the stacks, but I noticed and quickly slammed down on the opposite rudder peddle to whip us right back over the towering stacks of heat and filth.  Tee hee!

Eventually, we arrived at the Reading Airport:

Our first stop was the museum:

My friend checked us in at the museum office while I flew over to the little pilot’s room (shouldn’t have drank that coffee before the flight!).  We had a tour guide take us around the hangar, which was totally packed.  He gave us info about every plane – it was really interesting!

We then headed out to the ramp to check out the outside aircraft:

The best looking plane can be seen in the distance:

I mentioned that to our tour guide but he didn’t seem too impressed.  Oh well.

Back inside, we befriended the museum cat:

Errrrr…perhaps “befriended” wasn’t the right word:

Om, nom, nom!

Speaking of noms, after fueling up Vyctor, we taxied across the airport to the restaurant, Malibooz:

I got a rather yummy turkey club salad:

Before leaving, we contacted customs to let them know we would be arriving in St. Catharines in about two and a half hours (land around 6:00pm), then filed our flight plan.  Little Vyc was eagerly awaiting us:

Back in the air, the smog was still too heavy for any decent pics:

Half way through the flight, it didn’t really matter any more as the sun set.

We heard that there was a bit of an incident at the St. Catharines Airport in the afternoon.  My friend called and made sure all of the runways were open.  We were informed they were.  Unfortunately, when we got close to Buffalo and listened to the ATIS report (gives hourly updates on the runways and weather), we heard the runway with the lights was closed.  This meant we could not land there.  I let Buffalo know that I was diverting to Welland.  We called someone at the Flying Club and asked them to pick us up in Welland.  Poor Vyctor would be left outside in a foreign airport, overnight in the cold.  I felt so bad for him.

I didn’t arrive home until around 7:45 that night.  Needless to say, I was very pooped, but it was worth every second of my amazing day!

Today, I actually managed to get into work for my 7:15 start time.  Barely though.  I had to take vacation leave at around 1:30 and drive over to the St. Catharines Airport.  I was kindly given a lift out to Welland where I was reunited with my plane.  I tweaked his little spinner and he seemed to forgive me for his abandonment.  Before flying home, I headed over Port Colborne to take a picture of the submarine that was being transported from Hamilton out to Port Burwell (west of Dunnville on Lake Erie):

Kinda cool to see!

I’m hoping for a good sleep tonight.  I have another great day to look forward to tomorrow.  A bunch of us from work are meeting at the Mandarin for my birthday.  Yum!

Today’s symptoms: Really tired, but who wouldn’t be after that amazing day yesterday.  Had a bit more MS-related pain today than normal, but that was really my only complaint.

One thought on “Flight to Reading, PA

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s