Lights Out For Vyctor

I took my supervisor’s husband up for a flight yesterday.  He has always wanted to go up in a plane and do aerobatics. 

 Here’s a pic of Vyctor having his oil heated prior to our flight:

We took off just after 10:00 and headed straight overhead the field at about 4000 feet.  I was just about to start aerobatics when my intercom went out – we couldn’t hear each other through our headsets.  A little embarrassed, but I told him we would just have to yell.  I checked a couple of my radio fuses, but everything looked fine.  We did aerobatics for about 15 minutes – he LOVED it!  I asked him if he wanted to take a break and we could fly over Niagara Falls.  I called the tower to say we would be heading south to the Falls.  They replied that my communications were almost unreadable.  I tried again, but it was the same.  I decided to stay in the St. Catharines airspace and just do more aerobatics.  After another 10 minutes, I called the tower to say I was coming in to land.  They couldn’t hear me at all.  They asked if I wanted to land, and if so, to click my microphone twice.  I did.  I then called them on my cell phone just to make sure they knew how I was coming into the circuit.  There were quite a few planes coming and going, but the the tower made sure to update everyone with my position.  As I was descending, I noticed my transponder was also out.  Once on the downwind, I tried to put my flaps down, but nothing (since they’re electric).  I switched off the alternator but still nothing.  I came in and did a fairly decent flapless landing.  My passenger loved the adventure.  I asked him if my supervisor/his wife was going to have me fired for our experience, but he assured me she wouldn’t.  We all had a good laugh when we got down and out of the plane.  I told him that this flight wouldn’t count and we would go up again.  Fortunately, my mechanic was going to do my annual inspection that day – what perfect timing!

Actually, I meet with mechanic the night before.  We had our Recreational Aircraft Association Christmas dinner Friday night.  Although our numbers were down a little this year, it was still a great evening.  We had a traditional English dinner:

My friend Rick was quite excited about the fact that his yorkshire pudding looked like a little toilet:

Speaking of yorkshire puddings, I decided to lob one at my mechanic’s head.  Fortunately for him, I missed.  I blame it on the poor aerodynamics of the yorkie.  I think it was his wife who got me in the side of the head a little later on.  I also got hit when I was up front, handing out presents.  I “accidentally” hit Rick too.  Tee hee!  I’ve always wanted to have a food fight!

After dinner we had a great quartet perform for us:

One of our members always dresses up as Santa and I decided to join him this year, as Mrs. Claus:

It was a great evening – such a great group!

On Tuesday we’re leaving for Clearwater, Florida to have my CCSVI surgery repeated.  I really wish I didn’t have to have it redone so soon, but apparently many people are in the same boat.  We’re flying into Tampa, which is about 20 minutes away from Clearwater.  On a bright note, I scoped out the nearby malls, so I should be able to complete most of  my Christmas shopping.

I just want to thank all of the folks who have given me their support and words of encouragement for my upcoming procedure.  I can’t begin to tell you how much it means to me.

Today’s symptoms:  Felt a little drained today, probably due to all of my excitement yesterday!  My sinus headache is getting a bit better each day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s