Flytastic Weekend!

We had a golf tournament at work recently, to raise money for cancer.  I donated a flight to the auction and took the winning bidder up on Saturday.  We left around 10:00 and headed over Niagara Falls.  After a couple times around the scenic circuit, we flew over to Welland, then back around St. Catharines.  He was a really great passenger and even took control of the plane at one point.  He also gave me a couple bottles of wine after the flight!  *** burp ***  We landed at 11:00, at which point I picked up my little mother and headed up again.  We flew to the Welland Airport for their Wings and Wheels event.  I really wanted to see the Silver Dart , which is the first “flying machine” in Canada.  A great bunch of folks I know from the RAA plus some others, created a fully functional replica which flew for the first time earlier this year.  Here’s a pic of the Silver Dart, hiding behind some chicks.

It was quite a good turn out at the event.  People were amazed when we told them we flew in all the way from St. Catharines.
We had a long and exhausting flight back to St. Catharines – a flight which I proudly logged into my log book at eleven minutes.  Actually, while driving back, we waited at the Homer Bridge for about three times as long as our flight, while two ships crawled along in opposite directions.

Another great day of flying on Sunday.  A friend from work and I flew over Lakeside Park in Port Dalhousie to snap some photos of the human red cross (for the Canadian Red Cross), created by about 130 people strategically wearing red or white shirts.  We took off at 12:45 and headed straight to the park.  I was told the cross would be formed at around 1:30.  We were shocked when they got everyone in position by a little after 1:00.  We snapped a bunch of pictures, but before we got as many shots as we were hoping for, the crowd disbursed.  I found this rather odd as the coordinator of the event asked how she would know when we had enough shots.  I told her I would rock my wings and head out into the sunset.  I did not rock my wings and was still flying around the park when the cross was dismantled, so I didn’t really know what was going on.  I flew my passenger Pam over her house, then called the tower to inform them we were coming in for a landing.  Right after I made my call, I received a call from the coordinator on my cell.  She said “Ok, we’re forming up now!”  I said “Gee….ummmm…I thought we were done?!”   She said that they were just practicing.  I made another call to the airport tower and informed the ever-so-nice tower folks that I had been summoned back to the park.  The cross was back in place and we grabbed some more shots.  When we had enough, I rocked my wings and headed back to the airport.  Here are a few pics from today:

I’m sure Pam’s pictures will be much nicer and at the proper angle!

Today’s symptoms:  It is now 15:45 and I’m feeling just a little drained.  I’m going to rest and relax for the remainder of the day – I need to conserve my strength for my day off tomorrow!  Yea!

Posted by Lizzy McFly at 9/13/2009 2:03 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s